Over-the-counter (OTC) vs prescription hearing aids
There are two categories of hearing aids on the market, so let’s compare the differences.
No professional fitting
or support provided
for return policy
moderate hearing loss
supported by a professional
mandated by the state
by a professional
Over the counter (OTC) hearing aids
Are they right for you?
Over the counter (OTC) hearing aids are a new category of hearing aids that can be purchased without a professional hearing evaluation. They are made for adults 18 years of age and older with perceived mild to moderate hearing loss.
Can OTC hearing aids help your hearing loss? Answer these questions to find out.
Check all that apply to you:
- I am younger than 18.
- I hear differently out of one ear compared to the other.
- I have had a sudden change in hearing in one or both ears in the past few months.
- I think I might have a build up of earwax or something else in one or both of my ears.
- I have taken over-the-counter or prescription medication that causes hearing loss in the past.
- I have had chemotherapy and/or radiation in the head and neck area.
- I have noticed drainage from one or both of my ears recently.
- I experience pain or discomfort in one or both of my ears.
- I have experienced balance problems or dizziness.
If you checked any one of the statements above, you should have a hearing evaluation before purchasing OTC hearing aids.
Hearing in different environments
Think about your hearing level, then check what best
describes you. Check all that apply to you:
- I have good to excellent hearing, I do not have problems hearing what people say.
- In noisy environments, I have good hearing,
- I can understand conversation.
- In a noisy environment, I may have difficulty following or participating in conversations.
- I have difficulty hearing a voice at normal volume.
- I can only hear loud speech.
- I can only hear a voice if it is directly in my ear.
- In a noisy environment, I have great difficulty hearing conversations.
- In a noisy environment, I cannot hear any speech.
- I cannot hear any speech or loud sound.